I received a call from school Nurse and was informed that my younger daughter, Shana, got head lice!!
This is truly a bad news as clearing head lice is truly a disaster for me, not only that, I have to clean the bed, wash the combs, toys, etc, etc.
I checked quite a few resources and found that there are quite many home remedies for head lice which we can use. I would like to share this recipe which I think it is the easiest to do and the ingredients are simple, using Essential Oils and Coconut Oil. I used it on my girl, the smell was so good and I feel so safe to use on them. The oil would drip on their face or body and I need not worry as it is not toxic.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 drops each of Thyme, Eucalyptus Radiata and Lavender essential oils (can also use Eucalyptus Radiata, Lavender and Geranium)
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
This is roughly for shoulder-length hair, double the recipe for longer hair.
- Blend the coconut oil and essential oils together.
- Apply the oil mixture all over the scalp, massage in well and pull through the ends.
- Cover head in a shower cap and allow to sit for 4-6 hours.
- Carefully remove shower cap, and dispose of.
- Comb hair before washing and rinsing thoroughly, twice.
- While hair is still wet, combine 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup water in a small spray bottle. Spray ½ the bottle on the scalp and hair.
- Lean over the sink and pour the remaining mixture over the hair, massaging lightly.
- Rinse thoroughly and comb hair once again with a fine tooth comb.
- Follow with a light application of coconut oil. Style as desired and allow to remain on the hair until next washing.
As with most lice treatments, you need to repeat the process every five to 10 days for a couple of weeks. This helps to ensure that you eradicate all lice and their eggs. Between treatments, comb hair morning and night with a fine tooth comb, and use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner. As coconut oil both repels and kills lice, at the first notification of a lice outbreak, start using coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner.